Save Your Mattress From Smelly Potty Accidents With These Tricks
If you have trained your toddler for the potty then you may also know that accidents can happen everywhere and at any time. You can expect them on the floor, in the car or on a mattress. It is really thoughtful to have a waterproof mattress cover, but they are also expensive. Keeping in mind that mattresses are preferably a long-term loyalty, we will suggest some ways to save your mattress from potty accidents- and eradicate the urine smell from the mattress. However, you can also go with a mattress stain removal service for keeping your mattress clean and healthy. You can use these to protect your mattress from potty accidents without any replacement.
Tips To Protect Your Mattress From Smelly Potty Accidents:
- Plastic Picnic Tablecloths: The plastic will keep all potty accidents from leaking into the mattress. Whenever a potty accident happens, you can buy one, they are so low priced at the local stores that you can also throw them away after every accident. A couple of extra picnic tablecloths in your cabinet will help in the replacement of these easily. It is an excellent hack for when you are on a journey on your vacation and need to save a mattress that is not even yours from a toddler potty accident.
- Use a waterproof mattress protector: A waterproof mattress protector can be placed over your mattress to help protect it from spills and accidents.
- Remove any solid matter and clean the area immediately: If you notice a potty accident on your mattress, it’s important to act quickly. Remove any solid matter and clean the area with a mixture of water and mild detergent. Be sure to blot the area with a clean, dry cloth to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Use baking soda to absorb odours: After cleaning the area, sprinkle baking soda over the affected spot. The baking soda will help absorb any lingering odours. Let the baking soda sit for a few hours, then vacuum it up.
- Use an enzyme cleaner: Enzyme cleaners are designed to break down and remove organic stains and odours. These cleaners can be very effective at eliminating the smell of a potty accident.
- Air out the mattress: Once you’ve cleaned the affected area, be sure to air out the mattress as much as possible. If the weather allows, you can even place the mattress outside to let it dry out in the sun.
By following these tips, you should be able to remove any odours and stains caused by a potty accident and save your mattress from further damage.
Methods Of Removing The Smell Of Urine From The Mattress
When potty accidents do occur, it is essential to know how to remove the smell of urine from the mattress. It will also minimize the unpleasant bacteria that will live in your home for always.
- Take one cup of baking soda with 20 drops of tea tree oil, 10 drops of eucalyptus and 10 drops of lavender, and then combine them all together. It will be a moist powder but not a paste. You can mix it with the help of a fork.
- Spray the baking powder formula on the mattress and with the help of a soft-bristled brush spread it onto the mattress. Leave it for half an hour on the mattress.
- Use your vacuum cleaner in the evening and take out all the extra baking soda from the mattress. After vacuuming and making up the bed normally, you will find that the mattress will smell really fresh. There will not be any more potty smell.
You can follow these tips or you can hire mattress cleaning services near you. Most mattress cleaners are fully trained, certified and insured professionals with considerable experience and knowledge in the cleaning industry. They will go through all the regular quality control checks which will make sure that each cleaning is done professionally. Choose what you want but do not forget to clean potty accidents from your mattresses.